WHAT IS DERMAPLANING?
Dermaplaning is a physical exfoliation method that requires the use of a sterile surgical tool
to gently shave the top layer of the skin, the stratum corneum (The stratum corneum is the outer layer of the skin (epidermis). It serves as the primary barrier between the body and the environment), dead skin layer, and vellus hair, aka peach fuzz.
The 7 Steps to Remove Peach Fuzz at Home
The complete low down on how to perform dermaplaning at home effectively and safely.
Step 1. Wash your face
Step 2. Rinse and dry your face.
Step 3. Apply coconut oil
Apply a thin layer of coconut oil on your face.
Some people prefer not to apply anything. You decide for yourself.
Step 4. Downward strokes
Wet the dermaplaning tool in warm water and then start with downward strokes – start shaving with the hair growth. It’s important to have the correct angle for best results.
Use short strokes at a 45-degree angle.
Make sure you do not forget to use a mirror.
Step 4. Rinse and repeat
Rinse the dermablade frequently to dislodge the dead skin cells and the fine hairs on it.
Thoroughly make your way through the different sections of your face targeting:
- eyebrow area
- upper lips
Step 5. Repeat again the same above process
Once done, go over your face again, this time against the hair growth. This provides a greater exfoliation effect on the skin.
Remember to continue to stroke the blade against the skin at a 45-degree angle.
Step 6. Splash and cool off
Finish off by splashing your face with cool water and pat dry.
Step 7. Apply your favorite organic serum
The skin is most receptive to skincare and topical immediately after dermablading.
It’s more permeable than normal because of the pathways the procedure has created. The exfoliated skin paves an easier path for the nutrients to absorb into the skin for maximum benefits.
During the first 1-5 minutes after a treatment, is your opportunity to pass nutrients down to your cells in the lower skin layers. At this point, apply your favorite serum or organic moisturizer to your face.
Step 8: Apply skincare products
Some prefer to dermaplane at night before bed, so typically finishing up by applying a nightly routine which looks something like this:
- 1. Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum – soothes, heals, and hydrates the skin
- 2. Collagen Repair Cream – stimulates collagen production helping with fine lines, wrinkles, tone and texture.
- 4. Super Peptide Eye Serum – powerful moisturizing and anti-aging eye treatment
DERMAPLANING BEFORE AND AFTER TIPS
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I DERMAPLANE MY SKIN?
I recommend once a month (or every 3-4 weeks). Dermaplaning, too often can irritate the skin.
Dermaplaning can keep your skin looking bouncy, smooth, clear and supple.
- When you are dermaplaining, make sure to use your thumb and index finger to pull about an inch or two of you skin taut. This will keep your skin tight, and prevent accidental cuts
- For sterile purposes, it is recommended to throw away the tool after 3 months of use and to not share it with others.
- After treatment, avoid excessive physical activity that makes you sweat
- Avoid direct contact with sun for 48-72 hours on the applied area.
- Avoid applying cosmetics immediately after use
- Wear sunscreen daily. Find one with at least a 30+ protection and re-apply as necessary throughout the day and/or before prolonged UVA/UVB exposure. Even on rainy day!
- Also make sure to use an organic gentle daily cleanser