Dry and dehydrated skins have similar characteristics, but different underlying reasons. Dry skin will make you look older and make wrinkles and fine lines appear more.
Dry Skin – normally a skin type but can be a temporary skin condition
- caused by lack of oil in the skin
- small pores
- ‘tight’ feeling
- milia, blackheads and sp, ts may still be present
- skin looks dull
- skin is not plump
- doesn’t absorb products easily
- easily irritated – more likely to suffer reactions to products
- aggravated by poor skincare
Dehydrated Skin – is a skin condition affecting any skin type – including DRY
- caused by lack of water in the skin
- pores can be large or small
- skin feels tight and dry although it can confusingly sometimes look oily and have breakouts
- absorbs moisturisers really quickly
- blackheads and spots are still visible
- makeup disappears
Did you know that the skin is made up of 70% water – around 20-30% of that is in the epidermis (top layer of the skin). In normal circumstances, your hydrolipidic film acts as a regulator and barrier which retaining moisture and protecting against germs.
For whatever reason that is compromised, the moisture in the epidermis evaporates too quickly and the normal, healthy state of the skin is compromised.
Any and all of the following can cause dehydration – standby!:
- Environment – wind, cold air, dry air, too much sun, air conditioning, central heating
- Diet – the wrong foods, alcohol, caffeine, not eating enough water-heavy foods, not drinking enough
- Lifestyle – stress, poor skincare routine, using the wrong products, medication – including birth control, smoking
- Genetics – monthly cycle, pregnancy
It is quite common to be both dry and dehydrated but if by looking at the above you have ascertained that you are one or the other – these do’s and don’t might help.
- Moisturize morning and night
- Add hyaluronic acid to your routine
- Use balms, oils and serums for dry skin.
- Use oils and treatments for dehydrated.
- We love the Hydrating Rose Water Organic (This amazing rosewater is loaded with raw ingredients. Has no water or alcohol. _Only hydrating pure raw ingredients!)
- Eat food with omega like salmon, olive oil and avocados
- Buy a humidifier
Stay away from mineral oils, silicones (in skincare – not makeup), lanolins and synthetic fragrance which will make a dehydrated skin worse and make a dry skin even drier.