Did you know?
Why Make Your Own Toothpaste?
Many mainstream brands of toothpaste contain harmful or even toxic ingredients such as:
- Triclosan, a pesticide and hormone disruptor.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) which causes canker sores for many people.
- Artificial colorings, which are linked to ADHD and hyperactivity in children. Toothpaste does not need to be blue!
- Fluoride, which can be toxic if swallowed and doesn’t even work in toothpaste.
- Titanium dioxide, which is added to make a toothpaste white. Most of the data shows it’s safe and is not absorbed by the skin, but I have yet to find a study done to measure absorption by oral tissues. The EWG has a good list of safety concerns around titanium dioxide, but the take-home message: it’s just there to make toothpaste white, not improve your health. So why bother with it?
- Glycerin, which isn’t toxic, but has no place in the mouth as it’s a soap that strips your body’s natural oral mucosa and leaves a film. This film could coat the teeth, messing with the structure of the biofilm which could alter the microbiome in the mouth and impact the natural remineralization process — your body’s natural cavity-fighting mechanism.
- Highly abrasive ingredients, which damage enamel, making teeth sensitive and more prone to gum recession and cavities. Toothpaste should be only a little bit abrasive — this graininess aids the brushing motion to remove the biofilm of the tooth.
Organic Homemade Toothpaste
It’s not because it’s autumn that you do not have to show your pretty teeth anymore … On the contrary, it’s time to smile and bring back good mood! With this homemade recipe, smile and dazzle everyone on your way!
- 150 ml bottle of organic coconut oil
- 50 drops of organic essential oils of myrrh OR 50 drops of organic essential oils of spearmint OR 50 drops of organic essential oils of lemon
Poor 50 drops of spearmint (for fresh breath) OR 50 drops of myrrh (for sensitive gums) OR 50 drops of lemon ( for whiteness ++). Shake well.