The sooner you start taking care of your skin the better! By the time you see changes you don’t like in your skin, a lot of damage has already been done.
The best way to slow the aging of many things in the human body, on a cellular level, is to keep body cells from oxidizing. And the best way to keep your body from needlessly oxidizing, experts say, is to avoid smoking and to eat a diet rich in antioxidants.
As we get older, our top skin priority becomes preventing wrinkles — and the No. 1 way to do this, of course, is NOT to tan.
Nearly every fruit (and many veggies) have antioxidants, vitamins, and other properties (like fruit acids) that are great for every skin type. In fact, when I started this blog, I began by trying to isolate different fruits and which types of skin they’d work best on.
You know what I found? Nearly every fruit is great for any skin type. Nearly all of them help treat acne. Nearly all of them help rid the skin of dead cells, which makes them great for dry skin. Nearly every one enhances complexion. And SO many of them, with time, help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and age spots.
Some of my favorite fruits/veggies to put on your face, just as they are, with nothing added:
- Citrus: Lemon, orange, lime, tangerines – you can use the flesh/juice itself, or just rub the rinds on your face. Either way, don’t leave citrus on for more than 10-15 minutes. Also, it can cause photosensitivity (and lightening of the skin), so be wary of spending much time in the sun for a few hours after you’ve done this. Best for: Acneic and oily skin, as well as any skin with a lot of built-up dead skin cells. Be careful with broken skin, though.
- Berries: Strawberries (great for any skin type, but especially acne), cranberry, grape (great for aging skin).
- Fruits: Apples, mangoes, kiwi (especially!), papaya, banana, tomato (great for acne), pomegranate, pear.
- Melons: Cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon (great for dry skin and age spots).
- Veggies: Eggplant (great for moles, as it’s anti-cancer), avocado (for dry and aging skin), pumpkin, potato (fabulous for acne and oily skin), lettuce, cucumber (for sensitive and dry skin), onions (for acne and oily skin).
Using the good Vitamin C serum every day is also a must!