Red Raspberry Seed Oil actually belongs to the Rose family and is jam-packed with linolenic, oleic acid, essential fatty acids, and vitamin E. It has the highest level of antioxidants of any other oil and although we cannot claim that it protects from the sun, it does have a higher natural SPF of any other oil, including carrot oil. This oil is very hard to extract as you can imagine because the seeds are so tiny but a new extraction process has made this superfood more accessible recently.
Raspberry seed oil is rich in EFAs (essential fatty acids), primarily linoleic and linolenic acids. It contains very high levels of tocopherols (Vitamin E), which act as antioxidants, and carotenoides (Vitamin A).
Because of its composition, raspberry seed oil possesses superior anti-inflammatory qualities, and has reported sunscreen qualities, according to the Oomah study (2000), which makes it a nice addition to face, lip and sunscreen products.
*Please note, its reported sunscreen-like characteristics need to be further studied and concluded before relying upon.
6 reasons to use raspberry seed oil:
- Absorbs UV-B and UV-C so useful as a broad-spectrum sunscreen*.
- Anti-inflammatory due to a high content of alpha-linolenic acid (the highest in any fruit seed oil) and phytosterols, therefore helpful for eczema and psoriasis.
- Anti-aging benefits due to a content of ellagic acid (an antioxidant). This study shows that elegiac acid “reduced the destruction of collagen and inflammatory response, both major causes of wrinkles.” It also protects against ultraviolet damage.
- Very high in Vitamin E – an antioxidant. Antioxidants in skin care are important to prevent oxidative damage, which can lead to premature skin aging and skin cancer.
- Very high levels of phytosterols that can help reduce trans-epidermal water loss, thereby helping to keep skin moisturized.
- Phytosterols also help to repair skin damaged by environmental factors including sun damage.
Raspberry seed oil is a luxurious, sweet and attractive sounding oil, which connotes images of luscious fresh raspberries on a summer day. The botanical or INCI name is Rubus idaeus, and the oil offers moisturizing, occlusive, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits for the skin.
And with natural Sunscreen, Red Raspberry Seed Oil SPF 30
Start looking for it on ingredient lists immediately!
Top skin care products loaded with Raspberry seed oil